Wednesday, October 29, 2003

Keys to a happy life?


via metamorphosism. I was reading one of the posts at metamorphosism last night, from work (night duty in E.D. occasionally gives one time to blog-browse) and came across this thread:
The key to a happy life
People often ask me why I'm so happy all the time, so I'll tell you. The key to a happy life is negative thinking. If you are able to expect worse than the worst, then anything is a positive surprise. It works like this:
  • Taking a shower: Expect boiling acid to squirt out of the showerhead when you turn it on. That way, when you turn the whatever it's called and freezing water comes out, or scalding water, or rusty water or just a trickle, or a gecko you're all, Yay! No boiling acid! read more...

    I made comment - "I have been nursing for over 22 years. I have become very familiar with death. I have "laid out" more dead bodies than I can remember, not to mention holding the hands of those who died while they were busy doing it. I know with certainty that our time on this earth can STOP, suddenly, for a multitude of reasons, whatever age we are. This is my secret to being happy. For if today was the last day of my life, how would I like to spend it? In a bad mood, gazing at the world through a jaded perspective, whining and whinging and spouting negativism? No...I don't think so. Life is too short to be shitty. Of course that works well in theory, but what about in practice? Ha! Well, most of the time it works for me...."

    I'm wondering...what are the keys of happiness for other peoples lives? It often depends on what your circumstances are, of course. Expectations change depending on what level of basic needs any individual has fulfilled...Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs states that human beings are motivated by unsatisfied needs, and that certain lower needs need to be satisfied before higher needs can be satisfied. Most of us probably have our base needs well and truly met, which is why I, for example "think" I need a faster processor for my computer or a broad-band internet connection...hang on, wait a minute I really DO NEED that one! But seriously...
    Pat has written: "Sounds corney but to have a purpose I guess."
    Thanks for your input Pat - I'm not sure if it's that corney, just succinct and to the point! I think I understood what you mean (I hope?) To have a meaningful purpose is a definite part of meeting spiritual needs and for giving one a direction in life I believe. Without a meaningful purpose for existence I suppose one would feel lost and certainly not achieve happiness.

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home